Yesterday I had an epic bike ride in the rain forests of Cairns. I had been referred to Dan's Mountain Bike Adventures by the Australian couple who I rode the day before my race...
Tonight was the parade of nations and opening ceremonies. It was a truly amazing event. There were 6000 athletes from 62 countries. The evening started out with the parade of nations. The USA was the last country to enter so we were able to watch all of the other countries enter.
Big day is here. On a plane filled with triathletes flying from LA to Brisbane. I tried to tire myself out this morning with a good workout. I did back to back Rev It Up programs on the Lemond g-force trainer at level 12...
Last Race Before Gold Coast Australia Event.
Yesterday I raced in the Lake Sammamish Sprint Triathlon. My mom wanted to see me race before heading off to the World Championships so I signed up for this local race close to home. The race sold out and drew 700 participants. As I drove to the race the rain started falling. I arrived an hour before the start of the race. Generally I advise my triathlon team to get there at least 90 minutes prior to the start of the race so they do not feel rushed. As I walked to the swim start I saw my mother and friends who had come to cheer me on.
This is a list of my top nine favorite races. It is not in a specific order because I highly recommend all of these races. It’s not a top ten list because I’m leaving a spot open for the world championships.
- Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon – 1.5 mile swim, 18 mile bike, 8 mile run www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com
- Pacific Crest ½ Ironman – 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run www.racecenter.com/pacificcrest
- Hagg Lake Olympic Triathlon – 1.5 k swim, 40 k bike, 10 k run www.racecenter.com/hagglake
- Whisky Dick Triathlon – 1 mile swim, 28 mile bike, 8.8 mile run www.whiskydick.com
- Boston Marathon – 26.2 miles www.bostonmarathon.org
- Wild Sky Adventure Race – 30 mile mountain bike, 15 mile trail run, 10 mile white water raft www.trioba.com/triobahome.html
- Ironman Canada – 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run www.ironman.ca
- Mountain to Sound Multi Sport Race – 22 mile mountain bike, 45 mile road bike, 12 mile kayak, 13.2 mile road run, 6 mile road run. www.mountainstosound.com
- Ironman UK – 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run www.ironmanuk.com
Having the right gear is important. I’m a big believer in getting good gear from the start. Triathlon gear can be very pricey, but you can find good gear for a reasonable price. Seven years ago I bought my first triathlon bicycle, a P3 Cervelo aluminum bicycle.